Welcome to this course!
You will need these materials to follow the course:
- English for life. Pre-Intermediate. Student’s book. ISBN 978-0-19-430727-7
- English for life. Pre-Intermediate. Workbook with key. ISBN 978-0-19-430763-5
Lessons from 40 to 80
- Just to review: Elementary level
UNIT 39 GIVING ADVICE
VIDEO: At the airport
VIDEO: Pronunciation: Plural -es endings
Hand luggage restrictions : More information
UNIT 40 AT THE DOCTOR’S
Review: Preintermediate I. Unit 37
(mejor que /más vale que + infinitivo)
- Extra LISTENING: Medical advice (intermediate level)
UNIT 41 COOKING
- VIDEO: How to order in a restaurant
UNIT 42 DESCRIBING A RECIPE
Cooking verbs: exercises (click on the right side: ejercicios para imprimir)
SEASONS AND CELEBRATIONS
Bookworms Oxford (stage 2)
UNIT 44. EXPRESSING ANNOYANCE
“I get annoyed when people talk in the cinema”.
The Prince Charles Cinema in London is looking to up their efforts in stopping people from talking and texting in their movie theatres. They are recruiting a volunteer ninja who walks around keeping people in check.
- Think about some occasions when you get annoyed.
UNIT 45. SHOPPING
– Do you know the difference between:
– Do you like shopping?
– Are you fed up with shopping?
– Think about the last time you were shopping.
- Where did you go?
- What did you buy?
- Why did you buy it?
- Types of shops
- Silent syllables: diff
erent, raspb erry, ev eryone, veg etable, comf ortable, secret ary
- Forming comparative/superlative adjectives.
- List of comparatives/superlatives.
- Be careful. There is a mistake: cheap, (compar:cheaper), (superlat: cheapest).
- READING: THE LOCH NESS MONSTER.
UNIT 47 EXPRESSING OPINIONS
Where do you normally shop? Why?
- Write a paragraph. Click on HERE
LISTENING: Shopping for the day
UNIT 48 IN A CLOTHES SHOP
♦ natto: Japanese food
UNIT 49 TALKING ABOUT _ _ _ _ _
Guess the word!
- The first letter is in “man”, but not in “bank”.
- The second letter is in “coin” and “borrow”.
- The third letter is ins “change”, but not in “charge”.
- The fourth letter is in “lend”, but not in “land”.
- The fifth letter is in “normally”, but not in “normal”
VIDEO: Cash machines
Why don’t you create a mindmap? Here you have an example about money.
Click on the picture if you want to make it bigger.
UNIT 50 TALKING ABOUT THE FUTURE
One of the most famous songs by the Beatles is “All My Loving.” This was one of their first big hits around the world. It is a romantic story about what the singer will do when he leaves his true love. Here is the “All My Loving” video with a listening exercise.
- Do you remember the song ” Whatever Will Be, Will Be” by Doris Day? Look for it on the Internet and write down some examples with the modal verb “WILL”
UNIT 51 MAKING PREDICTIONS
- Complete this worksheet (activities A and B)
- Now you can watch this movie segment:
I, robot and complete activity C.
- Questionnaire: What will life be like in 50 years’ time?
UNIT 52 MONEY PROBLEMS
UNIT 53 LEISURE ACTIVITIES
♦ When we talk about activites, we use the -ing form with no article.
Other verbs + ing
In sports, teams, rules and competitions or tournaments
|In other activities like|
I don’t mind going to the gym
- I can’t stand doing gymnastics in the morning.
- She likes playing the piano.
- Correct these sentences:
- To do DIY is great.
- I’ve tried the canoeing.
- I enjoy to collect things.
- He likes the go to the gym.
- Now you have to arrange these words from the most to the least positive:
- Going to the pub is the most popular leisure activity outside the home in Great Britain. Read more about pubs.
UNIT 54 TALKING ABOUT FUTURE POSSIBILITIES
|Listen to the song and fill in the gaps|
If you ____ me now, you’ll take away the ________part of me
Uh uh uh uh no baby please ______
And ___ you leave me now,_________ away the very heart of me
Uh uh uh uh no baby please don’t go
Uh uh uh uh girl I just want you ______
A love like ours is love that’s hard ____
How could we let it slip away*
We’ve come too far to leave it all behind
How could we _____ it all this way
_____tomorrow comes and we’ll both regret
The things we said today…
(*slip away= escape)
CONDITIONAL CLAUSE RESULT CLAUSE
If you break a mirror, you will have seven years of bad luck.
If you find a four leaf clover, you will have good luck.
THE SECOND CONDITIONAL
- Exercise 1
SECOND TERM READING
THE TURN OF THE SCREW.Henry James.
(stage 2) OXFORD Dominoes
UNIT 56 MAKING A HOTEL RESERVATION
(Now you can create a mindmap with these items: room types, places, people, verbs, accommodation…)
UNIT 57 EVERYDAY OFFICE ACTIVITIES
Reading: My office
UNIT 58 EXPRESSING OBLIGATION
UNIT 59 JOURNEYS
- GRAMMAR: Transport prepositions
- Questionnaire:My daily journey
- Where do you work/study?
- How do you travel there?
- How long does the journey take?
- What do you usually do on the journey?
- What problems do you sometimes have?
- Do you normally enjoy the journey?
UNIT 61 THINGS AND JOBS IN THE HOME
VERB COLLOCATIONS: Who wants to be a millionaire.
UNIT 62 GIVING ADVICE
“When I said ‘I’m going to do the backing vocals in Spanish,’ … We needed a translator so Eddie Garcia, the tape operator, called his mother in Brooklyn Heights and read her the lyrics over the phone and she translated them. But Eddie and his mum are Ecuadorian, so it’s Ecuadorian Spanish that me and Joe Ely are singing on the backing vocals. -Joe Strummer, 1991”. Wikipedia
- Gotta: informal “got to” (= `have to’ or `must’)
- til: until
- tease: informal “flirt”
- If you want me off your back: If you want I leave you alone
Think about things you should and shouldn’t do if you want to improve your English. Write them down.
UNIT 64 DESCRIBING FAULTS
by dj martin
UNIT 65 MATERIALS
To know more: Recycling guide
UNIT 66 SAYING HOW THINGS ARE MADE
- Passive voice
- From active to passive
- exercise 1: tasks at home (present)
- exercise 2: passive (present and past)
- exercise 3: Passive (simple past)
- exercise 4: Reading exercise
- Sayings, proverbs and quotations
- Worksheet: Where is coffee produced?
UNIT 67 FESTIVALS
- Worksheet: festivals
- You can design a poster to advertise a local celebration that will take place during a famous festival. It should include the following information: dates, times, locations, food available, special things to see or do.
- READING: The British Tomatina
UNIT 70 RELATIVE CLAUSES
UNIT 73 PHRASAL VERBS
UNIT 74 PRESENT PERFECT
- STILL, ALREADY AND YET (some information and practice)
- PRESENT PERFECT- SIMPLE PAST
A SONG by U2